Koyo Tells Drum He is HIV+

In an act which could be seen as brave given our country's attutude towards HIV, former musician turned socialite, Koyo Bala of 3Sum fame reveals to Drum Magazine that he is HIV positive. 
In the interview with the magazine Koyo reveals how he found out about his HIV status and the subsequent trauma and introspection .


He told the magazine;

"I went to the clinic in Yeoville and went through counselling and had a blood test done." 
“I was confident my results would come back negative because I had been faithful to my partner of six years. The nurse just said ‘you are HIV-positive’ and I went blank.”

He admits that it was not easy hearing the news but he's had to be strong .

He continued; 

“When I found out, my world felt like it was coming to an end." 
“Thoughts of death started racing through my mind. I felt I was staring death in the face and pictured friends who had died of Aids,” 

Naturally, upon hearing and reading about this over the weekend many took to Twitter and Facebook to share their thoughts on the matter. A great deal of South Africans supported Koyo and praised him for his bravery while others thought he was using his HIV as a publicity stunt to garner sympathy and attention. Just few days prior to this he and Iko Mash announced that they will be starting a reality show. 

Sunday Sun reported that at the Metro FM Awards this past weekend the colourful openly gay socialite was "upbeat". He is quoted as having said;


“I am free. Hopefully other celebrities will do the same. I am not dying.”

It is sad that we still live in a world where a disease that is so common within our society still warrants a front page attention. Given that HIV/Aids has become part of everyday life one would expect that such revelation of one's status to the nation would be something that doesn't send shock waves across the country. Unfortunately, the disease is still shrouded in stigma and shame. Which is why Kolo's revelation is a brave step in my view to help curb the surge of this pandemic.

Indeed if many in the spotlight would be open about their statuses, it would help de-stigmatise the disease and hopefully many of their fans will be encouraged to go and get tested. Whatever Koyo's motives are for revealing his status, he has done this nation a great service because someone will read his story and hopefully be inspired to change his/her sexual behaviour or get tested. If one's story inspires just one person to do a good thing it really doesn't matter what the motivation was behind the other person telling the story.

On a lighter note:


Now that we have dealt with your health can we discuss something else that is more pressing than your health. Brotha that blonde hairstyle gots-to-go!! You will think people are looking at you strangely because of your revelations only to find out that they just can't believe that in 2011 a guy still dyes his hair blonde. Gay or not... there is no excuse for looking tacky!!

16 comments:

Shocked said...

Phil what is going on with gays in your industry? First one of the 3Sum guys died because of some disease that nobody wanted to talk about. Then it was Aaron Moloisi with that email from Pretoria that he infected someone with HIV. Last week it was Somizi looking like he is about to die. Now it's Koyo coming out that he is HIV+.

What are you guys doing in your celebrity circle that is making you sick?

Phil Mphela said...

@Shocked,

Lol, what do you mean, 'what are YOU guys doing'? Who are these YOU that you referring to?

I think I have written extensively about how fickle the gay life is in this town and industry so I am just take myself out of these debates for now.

Anonymous said...

Hee! Phil. To think gore you wrote about this Glamoour life and people dying of HIV last year and people thought you were exagerating. Now look at what is happening. You should be proud of yourself for opening people's eyes.

Shocked said...

I am just saying that gays need better rolemodels. I cant read these stories and not worry about my child, brother or relative being gay in Jozi.

For now all the people who are known to be gay in entertainment industry have either died of mysterious diseases or are rumours to be HIV. All I am saying is that the image of being gay will now be associated with AIDS. Thats why gays need new faces in the industry that will prove that being gay is not about being feminine and AIDS.

Phil Mphela said...

Ok granted people in the spotlight ought to set a good example for their fans. BUT whose responsibility is it to protect your life? Just because someone lives a glamorous life and they can afford it, it doesn't mean you should put your life at risk just to compare yourself to them. Personally, I find living one's life based on other people's expectations dumb.

Anonymous said...

Phil are you gay?

Phil Mphela said...

No I am not gay. I am Phil.

FAN said...

LOL DEATHBY# IAM NOT GAY IAM PHILA. GREAT WORK MAN KEEP IT UP!!!

Anonymous said...

No need to be rude and arrogant, I adressed you as Phil, so I know you are Phil. If you don't want to answer my question its fine. Anyway, I just became a fan of your blog recently, only heard about you from JC, looking forward to reading ur opinions.

Phil Mphela said...

Lol, and just because I an not giving you the answer you expected you automatically think I was being rude. Please read "Let's Get This Straight". You will understand why I said I am not gay, I am Phil.

Anonymous said...

he banna Phil,the poor child knows your name.can you answer that simple question?we kow what your name is..

Anonymous said...

Phil is under no obligation to answer the question. He has stated earlier that he is uncomfortable with labels. His last lover was not a female and he assured that he was sure the next one won't be a female too.
Satisfied?

Phil Mphela said...

Lol, thank you.

Anonymous said...

okay I get y'all,it's a pitty though that people want to label everything....nice blog you got going Phil.

Anonymous said...

Phil...

new said...

Dude thank you for a beautiful blog. You deserve awards for your creativity and honest. This is probably the best blog in Mzansi. It is personal yet not to self indulgent. I wonder what kind of guy you are because from reading your thoughts you sound like an interesting chap. Good work man.

Powered by Blogger.